I met my Bosnian friend, T, in high school German class. She used to call me things like “Liebchen” (beloved) and “Eichhörnchen” (squirrel). At first I reacted the way you might when an aunt kisses you on the cheek in public – Yuck! and then you wipe your cheek to show how much you hate it. After a while, it grew on me and became a bit of an inside joke.
To me, ” Liebster” is a cute and endearing name for an award that recognizes small-time bloggers, like myself.
I read that eligible blogs must have less than 1000 followers – that sounds like a ton! Just the other day, I was contemplating whether or not I should write a post celebrating my 100th reader (it’s weird to call them “followers,” no?). But then I noticed that probably 10 out of my 121 subscribers are some kind of marketing spambot, which led me to conclude that I don’t actually know how many people clicked that little “Follow” button purely because they were interested in hearing more from me. My point being, how will I ever know for sure who is the 100th non-spambot reader?
[If you are not a spambot, let me know!]
At any rate, I am all for new bloggers supporting one another in this great big Blogosphere. As the rules go, I will answer the following questions and nominate 5 other people who deserve recognition. Theoretically, they will do the same.
1. Why did you start your blog?
I wanted to share my stories about Laos. I also see writing as a creative therapy; my brain gets cluttered if I go without writing for too long.
2. Favorite cuisine?
Hard to say, but definitely anything spicy!
3. Drinks or desserts?
4. If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
The Walking Dead! Unfortunately, good shows are good because they eventually end and leave you feeling empty inside.
5. What is your favorite meal to cook?
Why, noodles, of course.
6. What is your favorite book?
Nonfiction: The Family That Couldn’t Sleep by D.T. Max (first that came to mind but I know there are others)
Fiction: The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (a childhood favorite and one I’ve read more than any other book)
7. Have you ever been out of the country?
Yes – born in Thailand, spent a few months in the Philippines; traveled to Laos, Thailand, and France.
8. What was your first post on your blog?
Writing About Writing
9. Which of your childhood memory is the prettiest one?
My family used to visit my uncle in Florida every summer. We went to the pier in St. Petersburg, and I ran around chasing seagulls while eating a double-scoop mint chocolate ice cream cone.
10. Which incident has touched you most in your life?
Interning for The Life Skills Development Foundation… I was able to be a tiny part of something much bigger than myself while exploring random corners of Thailand.
Thanks to Apsara@eatingwelldiary for so kindly nominating me. She has a lovely little vegetarian food blog that you should definitely check out.
And now for my nominees (I selected bloggers that I enjoy reading, who also have less than 200 followers):
1. Kelsey@stickyriceandketchup – Her stories make me smile.
2. Ngan@ngansequitur – I always thought her site name was clever, plus her posts are just gorgeous and make me hungry.
3. Yummcha – She always eats at the most amazing places!
4. The Quirky Flong – I enjoy his colorful photos and sense of adventure.
5. Jim@jjwaltersblog – A wise and insightful man…I enjoy our discussions.
Don’t feel obligated to participate, but do know that I think you are awesome!